t’s a specific time of year when suddenly overnight you box up your sandals and purchase fresh opaques. It’s when New York mornings go from subtly silent to nervously rowdy. The weather change is a clear indication of back to school, but if you’re a working woman like me, the abrupt change doesn’t trigger a fever twitch any longer. Instead, it’s a signal that I have to focus on a smooth wardrobe change and prepare to fly through the “stuntin’ season.” I named it this because it allows little fashionistas to pull out there “kill them kindly” furs, “knock their heads off” over the knee boots, and “this costs more than your bed linens” cashmere wraps.
Fall offers many options for making a statement or keeping it classic. This fall take some time to decide which way you want to go. Start now – don’t over spend and I promise by thanksgiving you will be well prepared for any kind of cold Mother Nature tosses your way.
Before I begin to rattle off the must have list, let’s start with a few basic principles. First, camel is your friend. Browns, especially cognacs and nudes are not only accent colors but they can serve as great basics for your essential buys. Black is classic, feel free to mix it up though – nothing says chic like a navy dress paired with black opaque stockings and perfect black pumps.
1. Dig Through the Trenches. To me the tan belted trench is a symbol of class, sophistication and femininity. No matter what you wear with her, she will always tighten you up and make you feel like a million bucks. The catch, this one is a splurge. To be perfectly polished you have to find the right structured trench. The fit is most important and the price, well you might have to hand over the card and close your eyes. The secret, shop the outlets on this one.
2. Practicality and Style. For fall, nothing says “Good Morning” better than cold linoleum tiles. So when you begin trudging through the chilly city let’s not let style slide to the sidelines. When you find that perfect Boot, flat riding or the new chucky heel worker, BUY IT! Most stores are going to offer a “get it early” deal, so scoop them quickly so you won’t have to settle for the next best thing. The Secret, buy them a half size bigger and pair with cashmere cozy socks.
3. Be a TKO with an OTK. This is for all of my strumpets! For the ladies who say, “Screw practicality I need a pair of boots that I can show off in!” The Over The Knee boot is the one thing to sex things up a bit. Its fall, and if you hate the cold it might just make you happy enough to feel the fall sunshine. The secret, if you are lucky enough to find the Red Bottom “Unique” boot in your size, you will for sure be the only girl on your block to have them. P.S Keep them on when the lights go off.
4. From the Runway to the Runway. If you are anything like me, you are trying to squeeze in one last vacation to get your rays on. So invest in an “Anything but plain Plane Outfit.” This can be a chic sweat suit or perfect jean and boot combo. The trick is to look amazing but feel comfortable. Remember that you never know who will be traveling that same weekend, or better yet – happen to be on the same flight! The secret, have your fall aviators, printed scarf and glam travel satchel on deck to complete the look.
5. Not your Grandmas Sweater. Be cool and casual with the ever basic Over Sized Sweater. It can be super cozy, or ever so whimsical, but the over sized sweater is sure to make any outfit trendy. Pick a knit that will be versatile with the ever changing weather. You will want to layer it over jeans or a nice dress, so choose your color wisely. The secret, it doesn’t have to be black. Navy, grey or even a cool print will make this item serve its true purpose.
So remember it’s not about quantity but quality! If you plan on keeping these items for the entire season, think before you buy. Plan your shopping and don’t just purchase something out of pure necessity. You can be practical and fabulous! Happy Fall Ladies!